A New Jersey native and long-time Florida resident, Meryl Conte Clayton was admitted to practice law in New Jersey in 1984 and in Florida in 1995 and maintains active practices in both states. Meryl focuses on the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, guardianship, elder law, real estate law and business law.
Meryl is committed to leveraging her vast wealth of experience to help individuals and families plan their legacies, protect their loved ones, and, when necessary, facilitate the resolution of family disputes. With practical advice and compassion, Meryl assists her clients in understanding the value of their estates and to choose and execute the most appropriate estate planning documents and trusts.
Meryl’s New Jersey-Florida connection represents a powerful advantage for her clients. She can advise on issues, institute court proceedings, and file necessary documents in both states for the convenience of families with homes or assets in Florida and New Jersey. Meryl advises residents of New Jersey who wish to relocate to Florida on the state’s homestead and residency requirements, so that they may enjoy the benefits of Florida’s favorable tax and estate laws.
Meryl has represented purchasers and sellers of commercial and residential real estate with preparation and review of documents and title, deed transfers and conducting closings and has been a member agent with Attorney’s Title Insurance Fund, Florida. Business clients will appreciate Meryl’s knowledgeable advice on forming an appropriate business entity and managing the company on an ongoing basis.
Meryl was a presenter in a legal education seminar Florida Estate Administration from Start to Finish and has spoken to prominent industry groups on various real estate, business and estate matters. She was a featured speaker at the 2012 New Jersey Registered Dieticians’ Annual Meeting, where she presented on contracts and business entity formation formation and was a member of Steering Committee and Co-Chair of the Health Fair Committee of the New Jersey Governor’s Conference for Women, 2012 and 2013. Among her numerous volunteer positions, Meryl has been a member of the Greater Ramsey Chapter of UNICO, the Boards of the Florida Association of Women Lawyers; Sarasota, Cardinal Mooney High School; Family Promise of Sarasota, and Agape Corner Children’s Boarding School and Ministries, among other charitable organizations.
More About Meryl
Bar & Court Admissions:
- United States Supreme Court 2013
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit 1985
- United States District Court for the State of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar 1984
- Florida State Bar 1995
- Bar Association of New Jersey
- Bar Association of Florida
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- Licensed real estate agent in Florida since 2004, currently inactive.
- Seton Hall University (1979)
- Quinnipiac College School of Law, J.D. (1983)
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, Attorneys’ Title Fund (FL)
- Committee Member, New Jersey Supreme Court Ethics Committee, District 11
- New Jersey Bar Association & Bergen County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association & Sarasota County Bar Association
- Women Lawyers in Bergen (NJ)
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Sarasota County (FL)
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity since 1981
- Chamber of Commerce – Leadership Sarasota (FL)